Curriculum vitae – André Levy
Contributions to Edited Books and Educational Materials
Contributed Papers at Scientific Meetings
Organization of Scientific Events
Workshops and Post-graduations (taught)
Workshops and Post-graduations (attended)
Public Outreach / Science Communication
André Levy Martins Coelho
Date of Birth: May, 11th 1972
email: email@example.com ; firstname.lastname@example.org
R. do Jardim do Tabaco, 34
1149-041 Lisbon PORTUGAL
Affiliated with the research group MARE
Scopus Author ID: 12784422500
Patterns of Diversity
Human Cultural Evolution
History of Evolutionary Biology
My core interest is Evolutionary Biology. As an eminently historic science, I am interested in the relationship among taxa (phylogenetics) and geographic populations (biogeography), and the role played by historic factors (such as climate change and plate tectonics) and ecological factor (such as life history and biotic interactions) in determining geographic distributions and diversity patterns.
My use of molecular sequences as a source of historic information has prompted an interest into the use of the molecular clock, the ability to test part demographic and evolutionary models (coalescent theory) and the limits of the molecular phylogenetic signal (e.g., hard vs. soft polytomies).
I am interested in phylogenies as a means to address issues of systematics but largely as means to address historical beogeography and the evolution of morphology, ecology, and behavior.
I have worked with a variety of organisms (from insects to plants, terrestrial to marine), and am presently working with fish, particularly the perciform sub-order Blennioidea. I'm also interested in the ecology and evolution of species interactions (Community genetics) and how they condition character evolution and species distributions.
I also have an interest in evolution and human affairs, including the history of science (particularly evolutionary biology), the evolution of human behavior and culture, human domestications and evolution of fish stocks, Darwinian medicine, and the role of disease in human history.
I have taught a variety of courses (including Evolution, Bioethics, Bioinformatics and Biometry) particularly fond of communicating general audiences to schools and public audiences.
Ph.D. at State University of New York at Stony Brook, Department of Ecology and Evolution, August 2004. Dissertation title: "The overcrowded stage and the evolutionary play: Resistance of Brassica rapa L. (Brassicaceae) to multiple enemies."
B. Sc., Univ. Lisbon, Portugal (1994) Major: Biology [Concluding year as ERASMUS fellow at Univ. Barcelona].
2011-2014 – Project: «Consequences of past and present climatic changes on biodiversity patterns of peat-rich environments: from genes to communities» PTDC/AAC-AMB/111349/2009, Member.
2010/13 – Project: «Phylogeny, Biogeography and Character Evolution in Blennioidei and Gobiesocoidei» PTDC/MAR/101639/2008, Principal Investigator
2009/11 – Project: «Marine phylogeographic structuring during climate change: the signature of leading and rear edge of range shifting populations.» MARIN-ERA/MAR/0001/2008, participant.
2008- Postdoctoral scholarship from the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (Portugal) SFRH/BPD/41391/2007 Phylogenetics, Biogeography and the Evolution of Behavior and Morphology of Blennioidei
2004 - Postdoctoral scholarship from the Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (Portugal) SFRH/BPD/18067/2004/D321
1997-2000 - PRAXIS XXI Doctoral grant, from National Council for Science and Technology (Portugal) 1996 - Fulbright Fellow
1994 – ERASMUS Program
- Araujo, G.S.,
Vilasboa, A., Britto, M.R., Bernardi, G., Von der Heyden, S., Levy,
A. and Floeter, S.R.. 2020. Phylogeny of the comb-tooth
blenny genus Scartella (Blenniiformes: Blenniidae) reveals
several cryptic lineages and a trans-Atlantic relationship. Zool. J.
Linnean Soc. 190 (1): 54-64
- Almada, F., A. Levy and J. I. Robalo. 2015 Not so sluggish: the success of the Felimare picta complex (Gastropoda, Nudibranchia) crossing Atlantic biogeographic barriers. PeerJ, e1769.
Fonseca, J. P., C. Neto, A.
Levy, R. Henriques, J. C. Costa, and J. Robalo. 2015.
Phylogenenetic approach of
the section Bulbocodii D.C. of Narcissus based on cpDNA. A case of
inflation? Plant Biosyst. DOI: 10.1080/11263504.2014.1001460
- Francisco, S. M., J. I. Robalo, S. Stefanni, A. Levy, and V. C. Almada. 2014. Gaidropsarus (Gadidae, Teleostei) of the North Atlantic Ocean: a brief phylogenetic review. J. Fish Biol. 85:473–87. (pdf)
- Levy, A. 2014. Cuts threaten future of R&D in Portugal. Nature 506 (7487): 159. (jpg)
- Vítor C Almada, V.C., Toledo, J.F., Brito, A., Levy, A., Floeter, S.R., Robalo, J.I., Martins, J., and Almada, F. 2013. Complex origins of the Lusitania biogeographic province and northeastern Atlantic fishes. Frontiers in Biogeography 5 (1): 20-28. (pdf)
- Levy, A.,
S. Von Der Heyden, S.
R. Floeter, G. Bernardi, V. C. Almada, and S. von der Heyden. 2013.
of Parablennius Miranda Ribeiro, 1915 reveals a paraphyletic genus and
Indo-Pacific diversification from an Atlantic ancestor. Mol.
- Geeta, R., L. Dávalos, A. Levy, L. Bohs, M. Lavin, K. Mummenhoff, N. Sinha, and M. Wojciechowski. 2012. Keeping it simple: flowering plants tend to retain, and revert to, simple leaves. New Phytol. 193:481–93. (pdf)
- Levy, A., , P. Wirtz, S. R. Floeter, and V. C. Almada. 2011. The Lusitania Province as a center of diversification: the phylogeny of the genus Microlipophrys (Pisces: Blenniidae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 58:409–13. (pdf)
- Levy, A. Evolution as a Scientific Fact. 2011. Açoreana, Suplemento 7:361-368. (pdf)
- Levy, A. 2010. Pattern, process and the evolution of meaning: species and units of selection. Theory Biosci. 129:159–66. (pdf)
- Almada, V. C., J. I. Robalo, A. Levy, J. Freyhof, G. Bernardi, and I. Doadrio. 2009. Phylogenetic analysis of Peri-Mediterranean blennies of the genus Salaria: Molecular insights on the colonization of freshwaters. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 52:424–431. (pdf)
- Levy, A., I. Doadrio, and V. C. Almada. 2009. Historical Biogeography of European Leuciscins (Cyprinidae): evaluating the Lago-Mare dispersal hypothesis. J. Biogeogr. 36:55–65. Eco-Ethology Research Unit, ISPA, Lisboa, Portugal. (pdf)
- Francisco, S. M., L. Congiu, S. Stefanni, R. Castilho, A. Brito, P. P. Ivanova, A. Levy, H. Cabral, G. Kilias, I. Doadrio, and V. C. Almada. 2008. Phylogenetic relationships of the North-eastern Atlantic and Mediterranean forms of Atherina (Pisces, Atherinidae). Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 48:782–8. (pdf)
- Almada, F., M. Henriques, A. Levy, A. Pereira, J. Robalo, and V. C. Almada. 2008. Reclassification of Lepadogaster candollei based on molecular and meristic evidence with a redefinition of the genus Lepadogaster. Mol. Evol. Phylogenetics 46:1151–1156. (pdf)
- Almada, V. C., a M. Pereira, J. I. Robalo, J. P. Fonseca, A. Levy, C. Maia, and A. Valente. 2008. Mitochondrial DNA fails to reveal genetic structure in sea-lampreys along European shores. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 46:391–6. (pdf)
- Robalo, J. I., V. C. Almada, A. Levy, I. Doadrio, J. Isabel, and V. Carvalho. 2007. Re-examination and phylogeny of the genus Chondrostoma based on mitochondrial and nuclear data and the definition of 5 new genera. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 42:362–72. (pdf)
- Robalo, J. ., C. Sousa-Santos, A. Levy, and V. C. Almada. 2006. Molecular insights on the taxonomic position of the paternal ancestor of the Squalius alburnoides hybridogenetic complex. Mol. Phylogenet. Evol. 39:276–281. (pdf)
- Gassmann, A. J., A. Levy, T. Tran, and D. J. Futuyma. 2006. Adaptations of an insect to a novel host plant: a phylogenetic approach. Funct. Ecol. 20:478–485. (pdf)
- Geeta, R., A. Levy, J. Hoch, and M. Mark. 2004. Taxonomists and the CBD. Science 305:1105–6. (pdf)
- Matos, M., C. Rego, A. Levy, H. Teotónio, and M. Rose. 2000. An evolutionary no man’s land. Trends Ecol. Evol. 15:206. (pdf)
- Knowles, L. L., A. Levy, J. M. McNellis, K. P. Greene, and D. J. Futuyma. 1999. Tests of inbreeding effects on host-shift potential in the phytophagous beetle Ophraella communa. Evolution (N. Y). 53:561–567. (pdf)
- Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. (eds.) 2015. Homem: Origem e Evolução. Glaciar, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. 2011. Vida: Origem e Evolução. Esfera do Caos, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. 2009. Evolução: Conceitos e Debates. Esfera do Caos, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. 2008. Evolução: História e Argumentos. Esfera do Caos, Lisboa, Portugal.
Levy, A. 2015. Who's your Alpha? Glimpse into Dominance Hierarchies in the Animal Kingdom. in Power, leadership and complexity in memory of António Gouveia Portela, ISTPress.
- Levy, A. and V. C. Almada. 2015. A evolução do comportamento humano. in Homem: origem e evolução. Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. (eds.) Glaciar, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Francisco, SM; Robalo, JI; Levy, A; Almada, VC (2014) In search of phylogeographic patterns in the northeastern Atlantic and adjacent seas. In: Evolutionary biology, Genome, Speciation, Coevolution and Origin of life. Pontarotti, P (Ed). Springer. Chapter 15: 323-338. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-07623-2_15
- Levy, A. 2012. The Long Reach of Darwin’s Thought on the Evolution Of Humans. In (Dis)Entangling Darwin: Cross-disciplinary Reflections on the Man and His Legacy. Edited by Graça da Silva, S., Vieira, F., and Bastos da Silva, B. Cambridge Scholars Publishing, Newcastle upon Tyne, UK.
- Pigliucci, M and Levy, A. 2009. An Extended Evolutionary Synthesis. In Evolução: Conceitos e Debates. Edited by Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. Esfera do Caos, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Almada, V. C., Robalo, J. I., Gonçalves, E. J., Levy, A. and Patzner, R. A. 2009. Blennies in Temperate Seas. In The Biology of Blennies. Patzner, R.A., Gonçalves, E. J., Hastings, P., and Kapoor, B.G. (Eds.). Science Publishers, Enfield, NH.
- Levy, A. 2008. Evolução agora. In Evolução: História e Argumentos. Edited by Levy, A., Carrapiço, F, Abreu, H., Pina, M. 2008. Esfera do Caos, Lisboa, Portugal.
- Vencl, F. V., Levy, A., Geeta, R., Keller, G. and Windsor, D. 2003. Observations on the Natural History, Systematics, and Phylogeny of the Criocerinae of Costa Rica and Panamá. In New Contributions to the Biology of the Chrysomelidae, P. Jolivet, J. Santiago-Blay, and M. Schmitt, (eds.) SPB Academic Publishing. The Hague, The Netherlands. (pdf)
- Levy, A. 2002. Genetics and Evolution. In Environmental Science on the Web: Interactive exercises for Environmental Science, K. Root (ed.). Web School of Science.
- Levy, A. and J. Oomen. 2002. Interactions among Species. In Environmental Science on the Web: Interactive exercises for Environmental Science, K. Root (ed.). Web School of Science.
- Futuyma, D.J. and A. Levy. 2000. Coevolution. In Encyclopedia of Biodiversity, Simon Levin (ed.). Academic Press.
- Levy, A. 2009. Darwin, a «Origem das Espécies» e Marxismo passados 150 anos. Vértice (II Série) Maio-Junho: 5-15.
- «Pattern, process and the evolution of
meaning: species and units of selection», André Levy, 16º Evolutionary
Meeting at Marseilles, 18-21 September 2012.
- «Phylogenetics and
Blenniidae», 1st Joint Congress on Evolutionary Biology, Ottawa, 6-10
Filogenia e biogeografia histórica de dois géneros de blenídeos», Oct
2011, IV Congresso da Ordem dos Biólogos, Ponta Delgada.
- « Marine Phylographic Structuring during Climate Change», André Levy, Joana I. Robalo, Sara Francisco, and Vitor C. Almada, Sept. 26-30th, World Conferece on Marine Biodiversity, Aberdeen Scotland. [digital object]
- «Evolution Now», March 18th, part of the Darwin commemorations at Faculdade de Ciências e Tecnologia da Universidade Nova de Lisboa. [oral presentation]
- «Species in the era of molecular phylogenetics & Units of selection as active agents», Abril 24th , part of the International Conference «Evolution: today and tomorrow - Darwin Evaluated by Contemporary Philosophical and Evolutionary Biological Theories», at Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, promoted by the Philosophy of Science Research Center of the University of Lisbon. [oral presentation]
- «Evolutionary Psychology and the Evolution of Human Psychology», May 22nd, in the Symposium «Frontiers of the Human», promoted by UIEE/ISPA. [oral presentation]
- «Evolution as a fact», in a round-table entitled «Evolution is fundamental. Why is it so controversial?», September 21st , as part of the conference «Darwin's Mistake and what we are doing to correct it.», at the Universidade dos Açores. [oral presentation]
- «Os bolseiros de investigação científica», October 30th, part of the “Biology and Education” panel of the I Congress of the Order of Biologists in Azores, in Pico. [oral presentation]
- «Darwinism and Evolutionism», December 3rd , at the International meeting “Horizons of the Human”, organized by the Instituto de Sociologia da Faculdade de Letras da Fundação Universidade do Porto. [oral presentation]
2007 - Historical Biogeography of Leuciscins (Cyprinidae): testing Lago-Mare dispersal. III Encontro Nacional de Biologia Evolutiva, IGC, Oeiras, Portugal. [oral presentation]
2006 - Historical Biogeography of Leuciscins (Cyprinidae) phylogenetic and diversity patterns reject Lago-Mare dispersal. Society for the Study of Evolution, Stony Brook, USA. [poster presentation]
2005 - Ripe for picking: Hard or soft polytomy of European Chondrostoma (Cyprinidae). 10th Congress of the European Society for Evolutionary Biology, Kraków, Poland. [poster presentation]
2004 - Anthocyanins and Plant Defense in Brassica rapa. Society for the Study of Evolution, Fort Collins, USA. [oral presentation]
2003 - Where do most taxonomists work, and does it matter. Annual AIBS conference on "Bioethics in a changing world," Washington, D. C., USA. [poster presentation]
2002 - Anthocyanins and Plant Defense in Brassica rapa. American Society of Naturalists, Banff, Canada. [poster presentation]
2002 - Pupal color polymorphism in Pieris rapae. Annual retreat of the Department of Ecology and Evolution. SUNY at Stony Brook. [oral presentation]
2000 - Leaf polymorphism in Sassafras albicum. Annual retreat of the Department of Ecology and Evolution. SUNY at Stony Brook. [oral presentation]
1999 - Correlation between resistance and tolerance. A preliminary study of defense in Rapid Cycling Brassica rapa. European Society of Evolutionary Biology, Barcelona, Spain. [poster presentation]
1998 - Inbreeding effects on host shift potential in the phytophagous beetle Ophraella. Society for the Study of Evolution, Vancouver, Canada. [poster presentation]
1997 - Inbreeding effects on host shift potential in the phytophagous beetle Ophraella. Annual retreat of the Department of Ecology and Evolution. SUNY at Stony Brook. [oral presentation]
- «Marxism, Darwinism and Human Nature», at the Marx in May Congress, May 3-5th, Lisbon, Portugal.
- «Historical Biogeography of freshwater fish (Cyprinidae: Leuciscins): evaluating the Lago-Mare dispersal hypothesis», Apr. 11th, Seminar “Modern Biogeography From Phylogeography and Landscape Genetics to Land-use Planning and Management”, organized by CliMA research group, IGOT-UL, and Sociedade de Geografia de Lisboa
- «The Azores and its role in the evolution of marine fishs», August 3rd, Graciosa Island, Azores, Portugal.
- «Biodiversity and Extinction», June 9th , at Universidade Lusófona, organized by Bio Conselho de Estudantes da Lusófona.
- «Darwin and Human Evolution», December 3rd, at the “Human Horizons” meeting in the Porto University.
- «Evolutionary Biology: the continuum among the sciences and the limits of Science”, April 2nd, part of the Permanent Seminar of the Philosophy of Science Research Center of the University of Lisbon.
- «The expression of Emotions in Man and Animals» by Charles Darwin», April 30th a 30 de April, promoted by UIEE/ISPA.
- «Evolution in debate: From Darwin to actuality», Maio 13th, at Universidade Lusófona, organized by Bio Conselho de Estudantes da Lusófona.
- «Evolução Now», November 24th, as part of the commemoration of the 150th anniversary of “Origem of Species” and the National Day of Science Outreach, at ISPA.
2005 – “Evolution of Resistance in Brassica rapa” Estación Biológica de Donaña, Sevilla, Spain.
2011 - Co-organizor of the International Workshop on Biogeography and Phylogeography of Atlantic Fishes, Lisboa, 26-27 November 2011.
- Co-organizer of the International Conference «Evolution: today and tomorrow - Darwin Evaluated by Contemporary Philosophical and Evolutionary Biological Theories», April 23-24th, at Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa, promoted by the Philosophy of Science Research Center of the University of Lisbon.
- Coordinator of the Organization of the Symposium «Frontiers of the Human», May 22nd, promoted by UIEE/ISPA.
- Co-organizer of “Frontiers of Evolution”, November 24th, and open-house at ISPA for High School students and teachers.
- Coordinator of the Organization of the V National Meeting of Evolutionary Biology, December 21st promoted by UIEE/ISPA.
- created website (http://www.biologia-evolutiva.net/) for exchange of information among Portuguese Evolutionary Biologists.
- Coordinator of the Organization of the I National Meeting of Evolutionary Biology, December 22nd, promoted by Faculdade de Ciências de Lisboa.
- Moderator of the electronic list «Evolutionary Biology in Portugal»
2008 - “Inbreeding Depression in Adaptation to Domestication: analysis of fitness, behavior and life-history of Drosophila subosbscura.”, Marta Alexandra Arandas dos Santos, Masters in Evolutionary Biology and Development; Opponent (arguente).
- “Evolutionary Change during Adaptation to Domestication”, Inês Regina Lopes de Mendonça Fragata, Masters in Evolutionary Biology and Development, Universidade de Lisboa; Opponent (arguente).
- “Validation of the Model of Anxiety by Light/Dark Exploration Test in Wistar Rats”, Masters in Ethology, ISPA; jury member.
2014 – Professor of “Bioethics” and “Evolutionary Biology in the Biology BA at ISPA-IU; “Environmental Ethics and Sustainable Development” and “Genes, Behavior and the Environment” in the Psychology Integrated Master’s program at ISPA-IU [Portuguese].
2013 – Professor of “Bioethics” and “Evolutionary Biology in the Biology BA at ISPA-IU and “Environmental Ethics and Sustainable Development” in the Psychology Integrated Master’s program at ISPA-IU [Portuguese]; co-taught “Marine Biodiversity, Population Biology and Biogeography”, in the Master’s program in Marine Biology and Conservation at ISPA-IU.
2012 – Professor of “Bioethics”, “Bioinformatics” and “Evolutionary Biology” in the Biology BA at ISPA-IU, and “Environmental Ethics and Sustainable Development” and “Developmental Biology and Evolution” in the Psychology Integrated Master’s program at ISPA-IU [Portuguese]
2011 - Teaching Assistant: «Developmental Biologia and Evolution / Biologia do Desenvolvimento e EvoIução», ISPA-IU [Portuguese]
2007 - Lecturer: «Evolutionary Psychology and Sociobiology/Psicologia Evolutiva e Sociobiologia», Masters in Psychobiology, ISPA [Portuguese]
2005-06 – Lecturer: «Evolutionary Biology/Biologia Evolutiva», Masters in Ethology, ISPA [Portuguese]
2002 – Teaching Assistant: Graduate «Biometry», State Univ. of New York at Stony Brook [English]
2001 – Teaching Assistant: «Introductory Biology Lab and Lecture», State Univ. of New York at Stony Brook [English]
2000 – Teaching Assistant: «Entomology Lab», State Univ. of New York at Stony Brook [English]
2000 – Guest Lecturer: «Introductory Biology» (10 lectures on Evolution), State Univ. of New York at Stony Brook [English]
1996-97 – Teaching Assistant: «Introductory Biology Lab», State Univ. of New York at Stony Brook [English]
- Workshop on Scientific Writing in Biology, ISPA (2012, 2013, 2014)
- Workshop on the phylogenetic software Mesquite, Jan. 16-25, ISPA. (2012)
- Workshop on the phylogenetic software Mesquite, June 25-26th, University of Algarve. (2009)
2013 – «The Data Scientist’s Toolbox» and «R Programming» via Coursera.org (with Verified Certificates)
Information Systems», Centro Biociências, Lisbon, Portugal
- Python 101: by biologists, for Biologists, CoBIG2/CBA, Lisbon, Portugal, 2012
2010 – «Introduction to Statistical Analysis in R», We Value, Lisbon, Portugal.
2008 - Writing Science for the Public. Oficina “Escrever, Escrever”, Lisbon, Portugal.
2008 - Beast Workshop. Univ. Algarve.
2005 - Mathematics of Evolution and Phylogeny. Institut Henri Poincaré, Paris, France.
2005 - Biodiversidade e Expressão Génica. Faculdade de Farmácia, Lisbon, Portugal.
2004 - The Quaternary Legacy: phylogeography and climatic changes in southern Europe (22-23 Oct), Lisbon, Portugal
Proficient in reading, writing and speaking in English, Portuguese and Castilian (Spanish).
Proficient in reading in French.
Knowledge in programming with C++, Python and R.
– «Biodiversidade e Evolução», Escola Secundária Luís Camões, 3 de Fevereiro
– Consultor científico «Pelucia diversus: Descrever e classificar a biodiversidade» Ciência Viva
«Biodiversidade e extinção: passado e presente», Escola Secundária Ferreira Dias, 20 November
- «Evolução em acção», Escola Rainha Dona Amélia, 23 May
- «The expression of Emotions in Man and Animals», Stuart Carvalhais High School, Jan. 10th.
- «The expression of Emotions in Man and Animals», Romeu Correia High School, Feb. 28th.
- «Biodiversity and Extinctions», Ferreira do Zêzere High School, Feb. 28th.
- «Biology in the XXIst century», Círculo de Intervenção Cultural (senior group), Mar. 19th.
- «Evolution of Human Behavior» Filipe Lencastre High School, May 8th
- «Evolução Agora» at Ferreira Dias High School, Cacém (Nov 21) and Azambuja High School (Nov 22)
- «Biodiversity and Extinctions», at ISPA (Nov 22)
- «Development and Evolution: the relationship between phenotype and genotype» and »Evolutionary Biology today: the advances of Darwin in the modern context» - lectures at Romeu Correia Hogh School, Feijó, Jan 17th
- «Evolution Today», lecture at Rainha Dona Amélia High School, Lisbon, March 2nd.
- «Darwinian Medicine», Abril 4th, Escola José Cardoso Pires, Santo António dos Cavalheiros
- «Biodiversity and Extinctions», lecture and debate at the XIV Nation Meetinf of Biology Students, Peniche, April 16th
- «Profession: Biologist» and «Evolution Now» - lectures at Josefa de Óbidos School, Óbidos, May 18th
- Dramatized tour as “Charles Darwin”, at the one year anniv. celebration of Centro Ciência Viva do Lousal, June 30th
- «Evolution in action», May 31st, Escola Secundária com 3º Ciclo Romeu Correia, Feijó.
- « Darwinian Medicine», 13th Abril & «Development and Evolution», 15th of April, at Escola Secundária de Carcavelos
- «Development and Evolution: relationship between phenotype and genotype», March 26th, at ISPA to school from Alentejo.
- «"Biodiversidade e extinção: passado e presente"», November 26th , in Colégio Santo André, during Science Week.
- Guided tours, as “Charles Darwin”, in the Botanical Gardens of Lisbon.
- Wrote a one-act play “The Birth of Evolution”, for the European initiative “Researcher's Night”
- Guided tours, as “Charles Darwin”,Visitas guiadas, at the National Museum of Natural History and its exhibit “Adventure on Earth”.
- Colaboration with the theater company «A Causa», in post-performance discussions, after the presentation of the monologue «The Monkey's Conference”, at Teatro da Trindade, Lisbon.
- «Evolutionary Biology», February 10th , invitation from the Municipal Library of Torres Vedras.
- Member of invited panelists in radio morning program of Antenna Um on Darwin and Evolution (12/Feb)
- Talk «Darwinism & Marxism», February 26th , promoted by the Portuguese Communist Party, Lisbon.
- Participation in the TV program «Portugal no Coração» (RTP) on Darwin and Evolution (4/Mar)
- «Darwin, Galapagos finches and evolution in action», March 16th , invitation from the Rainha Dona Leonor High School, Lisboa.
- «Darwin and Evolution», March 13th , invited by the Henrique Nogueira High School, Torres Vedras.
- Talk «Darwin and Evolution Today», March 23rd , promoted by the ART: Science Club of Telheiras, Lisbon.
- «Darwin and Evolution», May 28th , invited by D. Carlos I Junior School, Cacem.
- Talk «Charles R. Darwin», October 28th, invited by the Library of ISPA.
- Participation in the program «Biosfera» (RTP/TV) on Darwin and Evolution (Feb)
- Interview for RTP's Darwin blog on "How to teach Darwin to Children"
- Participation in the TV program «4 vezes Ciência» (RTP) on Education of Evolution
2008 – Talk on Evolution at Lourinhã High School
2002 – Presentation on Insects at Suffolk County Grade School
- Translation of scientific manuscripts and other works from Portuguese into English.
- Open Water Diver, Diver Level 2, PADI certified
- Theater/Acting, with experience in plays in the US and Portugal, including the role of Charles Darwin in Timberlake Wertenbaker's «After Darwin», directed by Carlos António, for the Teatro da Politécnica in 2008, and in «Darwin in the Garden», a guided tour of the Lisbon's Botanical Gardens.
- Member of the leadership of the Associação dos Bolseiros de Investigação Científica (ABIC), an organization that represents young Portuguese scientists on scholarship and promotes science jobs.